Founded in 1454 as a Catholic church and later as a Protestant institution in the 16th century. The church underwent a variety of renovations until the building of the current Neo-Rennaissance style cathedral in 1905. Located on Museumsinsel, an island in the Spree River in central Berlin and home to five internationally renowned museums. Attractions include the nearby Lustgarten on the cathedral grounds, the Germany History Museum, and the Berlin State Opera. Home of a now restored pipe organ built by Wilhelm Sauer. Spacious church interior ideal for orchestras and ensembles of any kind.
Kaiser Wilhelm Memorial Church
Protestant church completed in 1895 and named for Wilhelm Frederick Louis, German Emperor from 1871-1888. The church was damaged in a bombing raid during World War Two, and a new church was built around the old remains in 1963. Spacious interior ideal for choirs and orchestras of any kind. Colorful stained glass windows and interior artwork provide for a pleasant concert experience. Located in Breitscheidplatz in the center of the city, next to the Berlin Zoo and Tiergarten, a large city park with sprawling gardens.
Located in the locality of Prenzlauer Berg, in Berlin’s borough of Pankow, this Romanesque-Gothic style church was built in 1893. It is named after the Garden of Gethsemane, at the foot of the Mount of Olives in Jerusalem, where Jesus and the Twelve Apostles prayed and spent the evening before his crucifixion. Unlike many other churches, this particular church was spared and did not sustain damage during World War Two. It was a well-known meeting point for opponents of the East German regime in the mid-1980’s. Its interior makes it a suitable venue for choral concerts.
Located on the southern edge of the Tiergarten in Berlin’s central Mitte district, this historic Protestant church was built in 1856 and consecrated in 1846. It was designed by architect Friedrich August Stüler and built in the Romanesque style. The church was badly damaged by Allied bombing raids during World War Two, and reconstruction took place over the next decade. In the mid-1950’s, the church became part of the Berlin Kulturforum, a collection of desiggnated cultural buildings in West Berlin that were constructed after the city had been divided by the Berlin Wall. The church’s spacious interior is suitable for a variety of ensembles and concerts.
Zinna Abbey (Jüterbog)
This 12th-century abbey is located in a village called Kloster Zinna, part of Jüterbog in the federal state of Brandenburg. It was founded by Wichmann von Seeburg, the Archbishop of Magdeburg, and was also a monastery inhabited by Cistercian monks. The “new abbey” contains a museum while the Gothic style church is all that remains of the monastic complex. Interestingly, the complex contains a brewhouse, featuring a sweet herbal liqueur called “Klosterbruder” still produced today. The abbey church’s large, resonant interior is ideal for choral concerts, and ensembles will surely enjoy its vintage, historic charm.